1) Watch the following video “Empires: Martin Luther” available as Instant Play on Netflix or at this link:
Part 1 http://video.pbs.org/video/1379546586/
Part 2 http://video.pbs.org/video/1379563195/
2) Answer the questions below and post them to this discussion board.
How did Luther’s personal experiences help shape him into the person who would stand up to the church? Do you agree with Luther’s assessment of the Roman Catholic Church at the time? If you were writing a novel or a screenplay about the history of Christianity, what would be the major plot points? How did the church evolve into such a diverse group of different views? What was Luther’s role? Do you think the diversity is a strength or a weakness? What about the idea of predestination? Is it a possibility? A probability?
Unit 10: Reading and Discussion Assignment
A) Qur’an chapters 112, 107, 103, 96, 93, 89-90, 81-84, 57, 20, 5, 3 You can find several translations online including the one at this website:http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/quran/
B) Leila Ahmed, A Border Passage chapters 2, 5-6
1. What are the fundamental teachings of the Qur’an in your reading? What are differences and similarities between the Qur’an and the Bible? What passages stand out to you?
2. Discuss the problem of colonialism and dependence as described in the Ahmed book? Why was colonialism a problem? How have the three major monotheistic religions interacted throughout history?
3. How does Ahmed describe/understand individual and national identity?
Post your responses to this discussion board.
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.[order_calculator]