Health Information Technology Project
In previous Discussions and Applications, you have explored various aspects of health information technology systems: the historic development of HIT, how data flows across HIT systems, and standards and interoperability requirements including specific terminologies used in your practice setting. In this Application Assignment, you will have the opportunity to further develop your analysis skills by closely examining the implementation of a health information technology system. As a DNP-prepared nurse, you may find yourself in the position of leading a HIT project team; to be an effective leader and move health information technology projects forward in your organization, you must be able to logically and critically analyze the many aspects and challenges of implementing such a system and then present your insights in a succinct and professional manner. This exercise provides an opportunity to hone those skills.
Carefully review the project requirements below and plan your time accordingly. Over the next several weeks you will develop and submit sections of your Application. Specific project due dates are listed below. Be sure to refer to the standards of nursing informatics practice as you develop this Application, which serves as your Major Assessment for this course.
- Investigate a health information technology system or health information technology application in your area of interest. The health information technology system/application may be in any setting where health care information is developed or managed. You may choose your system or application from any organization or virtual environment.
Examples of health information technology systems or health information technology applications that are acceptable include but are not limited to:
o Clinical information systems
o Health care informatics research and development centers
- Discuss your proposed health information technology system/application with your Instructor before proceeding with your final selection. You may visit a health care organization in person or virtually in order to make your final choice about the health information technology system or health information technology application of interest.
- Choose the best strategy to gain information about your selected information technology system/application. Some ways to gather information include virtual visits; vendor demonstrations; on-site visits; interviews via face-to-face, phone, or teleconference. You must conduct at least one interview for this project.
- Complete a literature search to gather information about your selected information technology system. You may also need to review related scholarly articles to help answer the questions presented below.
- Briefly describe the health information technology system/application and the organization type (hospital, clinic, public health agency, health care software company, government health information website, private virtual health information site, etc.).
- Is the health information technology system/application clinical, administrative, educational, or research related?
- What were the key reasons for the development of this health information technology system/application, i.e., what made the organization believe this system/application was needed? How did this organization determine those needs? Did the organization use specific tools to conduct needs assessments, staff opinions, or workflows?
- How did the organization determine that this specific system/application could fulfill its predetermined needs?
- Who manages this health information technology system/application and where are they located within the organization’s administrative structure?
Information System Application Design and Development
- Many health care systems have multiple independent entities that work together toward the common goal of providing high-quality care. How did—and do—the various stakeholders make decisions related to this health information technology system/application? Were the end users involved in the development of this health information technology system/application?
- How are individuals trained to use the health information technology system/application?
- How are security issues addressed? How does this health information technology system/application support a legally sound health care record?
- Where did initial funds for this health information technology system/application come from?
- Who manages the budget for this health information technology system/application?
- Have organizational or political issues impacted the ongoing funding for this health information technology system/application?
- What are the arrangements for planned or unplanned downtime?
- How are health information technology system/application upgrades scheduled or planned?
- How has the health information technology system/application changed in response to health care reform and related legislation?
- What suggestions could you make regarding changes needed to support health care reform and related legislation?
Innovative Aspects of the System
- How does the health information technology system/application utilize technology innovations?
- What technology innovations would you recommend for this organization? What innovations presented in this course, or found through your own research, could this organization benefit from?
What innovations could further promote evidence-based practice and efficiency within this organization?
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.[order_calculator]